Picking up the best peanut butter in India can take you a step closer towards healthy eating. Taste, richness, and nutrition are all found inside a peanut butter jar. Indulging in peanut butter will add more nutrition as well as taste to your otherwise simple meals. The options are endless….A dash of peanut butter on fruits (apple, banana etc), its addition to a simple oatmeal, a spoonful in a smoothie or even a simple bread slice topped with peanut butter in place of regular butter not only tastes awesome but is comparatively healthier.
What are the BENEFITS of Peanut butter?
Do not undermine the nutritional value of peanuts only because they are much cheaper than other nuts. The list of nutrients they contain and their benefits is long. There is ample reason for the rise in liking for ‘peanut butter’.
A lot can be said about peanuts but we have given a small glimpse:
- peanuts have a low glycemic index ie they will provide lasting energy.
- they are a good source of Plant protein, healthy fats and fiber.
- also contain B complex vitamins, Vitamin A, E, antioxidants.
- contain compounds that are good for heart health.
- help in keeping your brain healthy.
- The mineral profile of peanuts is long. They contain copper, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, zinc, iron and selenium.
Peanut butter is good for muscle building, diabetic people, supports heart and brain health too. It is great for everyone aiming for weight gain. When used in moderation it helps with weight loss too. It can be used as a pre or post work out snack OR at breakfast to start your day with a good nutritional meal.
Go through our FAQs section for more clarity.
Types of peanut butter
It is mainly found in two versions:
The creamy version contains peanuts churned into a fine and smooth paste. While the crunchy one contains added bits of broken peanuts in the smooth peanut butter. Crunchy peanut butter contains more fiber than the creamy one is a myth as both contain an equal amount of peanuts (by weight). Fiber is not lost in any case.
They are also classified as classic & natural peanut butters. The ‘Classic’ ones are sweetened and have certain additions to enhance taste and flavour. While the ‘natural’ peanut butters are devoid of any additions and so they are unsweetened too. You can go in for any of them as per your need or liking.
Best Peanut butter in India (top 10 options)
Pintola is one of the best healthy peanut butter brand in India as per our research. Unsweetened, Organic, Honey and chocolate flavoured peanut butter are some of its varieties.
- It contains no other ingredient other than roasted peanuts and is available in both crunchy & creamy forms.
- The ‘All natural’ variety contains regular peanuts. It you want to go in for certified ‘organic’ one you can purchase Pintola Organic peanut butter.
- Contains 10 g of protein per serving (ie 2 tablespoons or 32 g).
- No added salt or sugar.
- The ‘all natural peanut butter’ from Pintola contains no stabilizer or preservative.
- No hydrogenated oil has been added in the formulation. If ever any oil is seen separating from the butter it is sure to have been released form the ground peanuts itself.
- It is a genuine and pure vegetarian product.
- By its nature it is gluten free and Vegan friendly.
- It is a combination of healthy fats, protein, vitamins and minerals: a perfect energy rich and healthy butter. This makes it one of the best peanut butter for workout.
- The price of Pintola peanut butter is fair with respect to the quality it delivers.
- User experiences say that it is a great tasting peanut butter (despite being unsweetened).
- Overall, Pintola peanut butter review gives a green flag to bring it home!
While moving through aisles in a grocery store to find a peanut butter with highest protein you must stop at Muscle Blaze High protein peanut butter.This one has the combined goodness of peanuts and Whey protein!
The protein goes upto 37grams per 100 grams of butter. This is higher than all others in our list (which mostly contain around 30 grams protein per 100 g of the product.)
- Good quality roasted peanuts, blended with Whey protein. Whey protein is fast digesting protein. It gets readily absorbed in our bodies without giving us any digestive discomfort and provides all essential Amino Acids.
- Peanuts constitute a major 80% of the product while 20% of it is Whey protein. Thus, the texture, flavour and aroma remains the same as any simple peanut butter.
- The quantity of protein is 12 grams ( 11.85g approx) for every serving of two table spoons. (2 tbsps = 32 grams of peanut butter)
- It has NO added stabilizers or preservatives. The shelf life is six months. Neither any added artificial sugars or oil have been used in the product.
- Fit for vegetarians. But this isn’t suitable for Vegans since it contains whey protein which is sourced from dairy.
- It is high in healthy fats and protein, fiber, vitamins and essential minerals. It will not only serve as a non-guilty snack option but also as a post or pre workout as it will boost energy levels and help build muscles.
- You can settle for this one as being the best peanut butter in India for gym goers.
- It comes in a jar weighing 750 grams. You might feel it is expensive with respect to other peanut butters but it is worth the price since it contains imported Whey protein also.
- For anyone who loves the plain peanut butter (which is vegan friendly too), you may buy the regular one from Muscle Blaze.
As the name says you get this peanut butter in its very natural form without any unwanted artificial additions done to it. This is the most healthy option From ‘Alpino’ although they have chocolate flavoured and the general classic peanut butter too.
- Each recommended serving (30g ) of Alpino all natural peanut butter will bring in 10 grams of protein. OR with every tablespoon you will get around 5 grams of protein. (1 tbsp = 15grams approx.)
- Alpino peanut butter contains 100% roasted peanuts only. It is suitable for vegetarians along with being Vegan friendly.
- No sugar or salt has been added.
- It is free from artificial flavours, sweeteners and fillers. Also, it does not contain any hydrogenated oils.
- Being, Kosher and Halal compliant you can trust its purity.
- This is suitable for all people, whether young or old, active or inactive, except for those who are allergic to peanuts.
- We recommend this for all those who are very particular about what they eat and are looking for the best natural peanut butter in India. It is suitable for weight management.
- As per user reviews it is mildly sweet (due to the presence of natural sugars). It does taste good and makes any recipe (where it is added) a treat to have!
As the name says it is ‘just nuts’ nothing else has been added into your jar of peanut butter except PEANUTS!
- Made with a single ingredient and that is PEANUTS. Single ingredient food products are great since they have a lesser chance of having cheap fillers.
- The label says it will provide 9.6 grams of protein per serving of 2 tablespoons (32 g) of peanut butter.
- It is unsweetened.
- No added flavours.
- No trans fat.
- Fit for vegetarians and vegans.
- Each serving will provide healthy fats, protein, moderate amount of fiber and carbs. Lets not forget about the vitamins and minerals that are also a part of peanuts!
- User experiences with this product are great. Majority of buyers said that the texture and taste of Just Nuts peanut butter is awesome. The natural flavour of ‘peanuts’ is retained so it does seem authentic.
- Good for healthy snacking, making smoothies more nutritious and tastier, as well as an energy booster pre or post workout.
- The price is affordable and at par with other best brands of peanut butter in India.
It is a well acclaimed peanut butter brand for body building. Flex Protein is an Indian company committed to producing ‘natural’ nutritional supplements.
They use non GMO peanuts (and nothing else is added) giving you one of the best peanut butter for bodybuilding. Let me remind you the same can be used for weight gain as well as weight loss (you need to use it in the right manner while watching your calorie intake).
- Flex protein premium peanut butter provides 10 grams of protein per serving of 2 tablespoons (32 grams of butter).
- A Non GMO product.
- It does not contain any gluten or dairy.
- It is ideal for vegetarians and Vegans.
- Completely sugar free.
- No salt or any hydrogenated oils have been added.
- It is FSSAI approved and is produced under hygienic conditions.
- Flex protein peanut butter contains no trans fat. Healthy mono and poly unsaturated fats are present (little to negligible amount of saturated fat is also present)
- This could be ideal for Keto diet since it contains only ‘naturally’ occurring healthy fats found in peanuts, is sugar free and also has considerable amount of protein.
As per customer reviews Asitis peanut butter is very close to the ‘homemade’ peanut butter where we do not add anything extra (it just has peanuts)! We are not reluctant to say that it is a good option for everyone looking for a natural peanut butter.
Also read : Detailed review of Asitis peanut butter ( a personal review of strive for best team)
- Each recommended serving of 2 tablespoons (32 g) of this butter provides 9.6grams of protein.
- Each serving of 32 grams contains almost 16 grams of unsaturated (healthy) fats.
- Peanut butter from Asitis is loaded with ‘healthy fats’ which help to boost brain health, heart health and reduce inflammations in the body.
- It contains dietary fiber coming from peanut of course.
- It is unsweetened.
- Free of salt.
- Fit for vegetarians as well as Vegans.
- Completely free of dairy and gluten.
- Comes without any sort of artificial flavour, colour or any other additive or filler.
- Peanut butter being a combination of healthy fats, protein and fiber is a good source to fuel the body with sustained energy and prevent unnecessary cravings.
- It is affordable and good enough for those who are on a low carb diet.
- Since Asitis peanut butter contains has no additions, it can easily be used in various recipes.
This peanut butter can be used guilt free if you are not on any strict calorie control diet (since it contains some sugar). It is for everyone who relishes eating peanuts. Sundrop peanut butter, is ideal for kids, active adults as well as the elderly (if their medical condition permits them to incorporate sugar in diet).
- Each suggested serving of 30 grams (ie 2 tablespoons) brings in 8 grams of protein. This means you will get 4 grams of protein with a single tablespoon of this peanut butter.
- Contains regular roasted peanuts and peanut oil.
- It is suitable for Vegans as well as vegetarians.
- The company nowhere on its label claims to give 100% peanuts only in this this product. They have added sugar, salt, peanut oil and permitted stabilizers. ( these are found in most packed foods)
- Per serving (of two table spoons) 2.8 grams of sugar and some amounts of sodium (due to added iodised salt) is present.
- There is 15 grams of fat in every 30 grams( 2 tbsps) of peanut butter. The fat is majorly comprised of Mono and Poly unsaturated fatty acids which are healthy and little amounts of saturated (unhealthy) fats.
- Zero trans fat is mentioned on the ingredient label which means there has been no addition of hydrogenated oils.
- The crunchy as well as creamy butter from Sundrop have a delectable taste and texture.
- If at all you have tried the sugar free peanut butters and could not adjust to its taste, this is a really good option if used in moderation.
- One tbsp of Sun-drop peanut butter will bring in approximately 1.5 grams of sugar, little salt along with the goodness of peanuts. Once you use it, you may find it to be the best tasting peanut butter.
As the name says Nouriza Peanut butter is composed of only natural ingredients. It has a higher protein content when compared with others since it is enriched with Whey protein.This makes it suitable for those who are looking for muscle gain.
- It will provide 11 grams of protein with every serving of 32 grams (2 tablespoons of peanut butter).
- It contains only 10% Whey protein and 90% peanuts, still maintaining great taste and texture that is expected by consumers.
- It is unsweetened and free of any artificial taste enhancing substances and preservatives.
- No added salt.
- Free of trans fat since no hydrogenated oils have been added in it.
- Gluten free.
- It contains dairy since ‘Whey protein’ is added in this Nouriza High protein peanut butter. (Whey protein is sourced from milk)
- It is fit for vegetarians only and not Vegans.
- Composed of protein, healthy fats, dietary fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals it makes a perfect healthy replacement for regular butter.
- Nouriza also has options of unsweetened and sweetened peanut butters. (without added Whey protein)
- At a very affordable rate, Nouriza peanut butter is a worth buying option. This is a good choice when you want to pick up the best peanut butter for protein!
- It is backed with positive reviews from its users which reflect its good quality.
Although Disano has a variety of Peanut butters, this unsweetened natural one is the healthiest.
It is rich in protein, healthy fats, B vitamins, Vitamin E, other essential vitamins and minerals. It is also a good source of fiber and antioxidants that are needed for healthy skin and hair. (All natural peanut butters have nutritional value of peanuts intact). It also makes its way among the best Peanut butter brands in India.
- 10 grams of protein is obtained with every serving of 2 tablespoons(32 g) of Disano peanut butter.
- Perfect for Vegans as well as vegetarians.
- It is completely free of any hydrogenated oils, preservatives, flavour or any unwanted filler.
- No added salt or artificial sugar.
- It contains mono and poly unsaturated (beneficial) fatty acids. With low amounts of saturated fat and zero trans fat, it is a good source of healthy fats.
- This peanut butter contains ‘only’ peanuts so it is bound to be gluten free and free of dairy too.
- The nutritional profile of the product as well as its ingenuity makes it more than a breakfast companion. This is a top quality peanut butter.
- A worthy option with a fair price.
- Chocolate flavoured as well as classic sweetened peanut butters are also available with this brand.
Myfitness Peanut butter is another tasty option in our list. The company has maintained the quality and taste at par with the best peanut butter in the world.
It is made of regular roasted peanuts and to add some extra taste brown sugar and pink Himalayan salt have been added. It has permitted stabilisers added to it but no hydrogenated oil has been used. This is a healthy and tasty peanut butter available in India. It has a Chocolate flavoured version too.
- Myfitness Peanut butter provides 8 grams of protein per serving of 32 grams ie 2 tablespoons.
- Fit for vegetarians and vegans.
- By its nature, peanut butter is dairy free and gluten free.
- Added sugar is very minimal; only 2 grams in a serving of 32 grams.
- It is free of hydrogenated oil, artificial flavouring substances.
- If you are not on any strict calorie restriction, this peanut butter is good enough to be made a part of daily diet as only some amounts of brown sugar is the extra ingredient.
- It is full of healthy fats, protein, fiber, many vitamins and minerals.
- Very affordable.
- Lots of positive reviews about this product testify for its good quality.
- One of the best Indian peanut butter that well combines nutrition and taste.
How to choose the best quality peanut butter?
Go through these parameters and hopefully you will choose a healthy peanut butter.
What should you look for when trying be sure about peanut butter being pure? The label should say that your peanut butter contains 100% dry roasted good quality peanuts ONLY.
To be sure that nothing unwanted goes into your jar of peanut butter. You must know what is to be avoided. Additions of salt, sugar and hydrogenated oil is to be avoided when looking for a suitable peanut butter for gym or body building. Sometimes peanut oil is added into the blend which is fine.
At other times, little amounts of added honey, brown sugar, pink salt etc do not do much harm if you aren’t a fitness freak. Addition artificial sugar, flavour and hydrogenated oil should be avoided by all.
It is best to buy the one that contains 100% organic and GMO free peanuts. All of us know organic products are by nature pure and non GMO. Fewer chemicals and pesticides used along with the assurance of using non altered seeds (genetically) will give you a safe to use peanut butter.
If taste is your priority and you’re not looking for a super healthy spread you can go in for the normal Classic peanut butters which have added oils, salt as well as sugar. (Do take into consideration the general health condition of all those who will consume it like BP, diabetes issues etc.) A word of advice would be to buy the classic peanut butter from a reputed brand that follows hygiene standards as well as food safety compliances that make it fit for consumption.
If you need the healthier versions or peanut butters with higher protein content you will have to compromise a bit on the extra sweetness and yes there are many that will match the standards you’re looking for.
Awareness in this aspect is always necessary to be a wise consumer. Check the PRICES of our selected top peanut butter in India and you will know that the price is more or less the same range.
It is an affordable product so do not be fooled by any company that makes un realistic claims to rob you off some extra bucks! There is no need to pay an exorbitant price for any peanut butter.
FAQs about peanut butter:
What is its recommended intake?
Two tablespoons (30-32g) of peanut butter is the recommended intake which will give you around 200 calories and 9 to 10 grams of protein. The allowance may be two table spoons, but as you see it is high in calories, you need to see wether it fits in your daily calorie intake goal.
For, all those who are active like athletes, gym freaks, people whose jobs are physically demanding etc need not worry since they will easily use up those calories and may even have scope of gulping in more than 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Whereas, everyone who is on a calorie restriction needs to pay attention to his/her needs.
Although one tablespoon will suffice for everyone without any harm.
How is it different from regular butter?
Regular butter is made from milk while peanut butter contains peanuts and no dairy. The regular butter is by its nature not fit for Vegans. They have some differences nutritionally too. When we closely read the labels, it is surprising to find that regular butter contains approximately the same amount of calories per 100 grams, but is higher in saturated (unhealthy) fats and very low on protein when compared to peanut butter.
Thus, peanut butter when used as a spread would definitely be a healthier choice since it is rich in protein n healthy fats and also contains lots of vitamins & minerals which are not found in the regular butter.
How can it add value to a Vegan diet?
A great possibility with using peanut butter at breakfast is that you can ditch eggs without any guilt. This is because peanut butter does contain enough amount of protein to keep you nutritionally up to the mark. A whole egg on an average contains 6 grams of protein (the protein content varies depending on the size of the egg from 5 to 7 grams), while one tablespoon full of peanut butter contains more or less 5 grams of protein.
Along with that, it is rich in healthy fats, antioxidants, B vitamins and minerals. You would be glad to know that the amino acid profile of peanuts is complete. Peanut butter in itself is a delight to have, be it with a simple bread slice, in smoothies to make them creamier OR added in oatmeal or cereal.
I assure you, it is a healthy yet tasteful snack option for Vegans as well as others.
Which is the best peanut butter brand in India?
Listed below are brands and from them you can choose a suitable option for yourself. These are definitely the top selling Peanut butter brands.
‘Pintola’ is a very trusted brand in the category of nut butters. It has been there for quite a number of years, consistently delivering desired quality to its customers. Since, Pintola was established as result of acknowledging that peanut butter was new to India despite its immense benefits, the founders embarked on a journey to produce in India itself but at par with the global standards.
Pintola is an ISO certified, FSSAI approved company which also has clearance from the BRC (European standards). They vouch for maintenance of top notch hygiene and good manufacturing practices. The company is transparent about its certifications and compliances and has mentioned them on its website.
Muscle Blaze is an established Indian brand that produces sports supplements of unmatched quality at affordable rates. Similarly, its peanut butter is reliaable. It comes in both unsweetened n unflavoured form as well as in chocolate flavour.
‘Alpino’ Natural Peanut butter is a common name in Indian households where fitness is a priority. Required certifications and clearances have made it a trusted brand. Peanut butter from Alpino is US FDA, FSSAI, ISO 22000 certified. The company also abides by GMP (good manufacturing practices).
In an era of adulteration and usage of additives to make food taste and look good, we all have started looking for healthier and natural alternatives. ‘Just Nuts’ is known for being a good peanut butter brand in India with the assurance of having completely ‘natural’ ingredients. It is an FSSAI approved product so we can trust its quality.
The sports and fitness supplements are often seen with skepticism. But, Flex protein guarantees to provide naturally sourced, clean and unaltered raw materials with no chemicals added in producing the final product. Although the company produces many products (including grass fed Whey protein) its Premium Peanut Butter has gained popularity and is much loved by all.
Asitis is known for producing ‘additives free’ and ‘pure’ sports supplements. It is an Indian brand which has quickly created its customer base since it delivers high quality, genuine products. The company has all licences and certifications needed. The natural taste, texture and nutritional goodness is retained in its peanut butter.
Sundrop is mainly known for its healthy cooking oils. Its product line now includes ‘peanut butter’ as well. As per reviews and personal experience we can say that it tastes ‘awesome’! But the taste factor brings in added sugar (although not too much) in its ingredient profile. Since, Sundrop is an established brand we can expect that they are delivering what they claim. It is FSSAI approved and no harmful additives or fillers have been added in the product.
Nouriza peanut butter is legitimate and is produced under standards laid down by FSSAI. It is GMP compliant. It has gained popularity lately.
Disano as we all know is an Indian brand known for manufacturing products that are used for healthy cooking or consumed as is to provide necessary nourishment to the body. Olive oil and Canola Oil and other oils from Disano can often be found in grocery stores across India. It also has other products like Oats, Apple cider vinegar, preserved juices and yes healthy spreads like peanut butter.
Its products are made by using clean and natural raw material, abiding by good manufacturing practices and food safety compliances. Same goes for peanut butter from Disano.
Although this option is the last one on our list, it isn’t any less than those mentioned above. Myfitness has the licenses, approvals and certifications needed to bring a pure and healthy product to your dining table. It is fssai, US FDA approved as well ISO certified. Myfitness Peanut butter is manufactured in Gujarat. The company claims to have replicated the original American taste.
Is it good for weight gain?
Since peanut butter is high in healthy fats and contains protein also, it is apt to use it for gaining weight in a healthy way. It can be used in oatmeal, smoothies, on bread and chapati (depending on your liking) several times a day. Another perk that comes with the weight gain aim is that you can use the Classic peanut butter guilt free. It does contain some amount of sugar (2 to 2.5g per serving), hydrogenated oil, sometimes salt too. But that little amount won’t do you harm if your aim is to gain weight.
Any one from our list provided above can work well as the best peanut butter in India for weight gain. Others that could be used are: American garden peanut butter, Dr Oetkar peanut butter, Kissan peanut butter, Sundrop peanut butter and peanut butter from Veeba.
How does it help in bodybuilding?
A great thing about peanut butter is that it is a plant based ‘Complete Protein’.
With every tablespoon one gets 4 to 5 grams of protein, along with healthy fats and lost of vitamins and minerals. Being, rich in healthy fats and protein this is a calorie dense food, which helps provide energy to bear heavy workouts when used as a pre work out. Also, it can be used as a healthy snack option while maintaining the protein, carbs and fat balance in meals.
Pick any ‘Natural’ Peanut butter from the list given above (since they are devoid of sugar added oil or preservatives n artificial flavour)and that would be your best peanut butter for bodybuilding would be any
Which is the best peanut butter for weight loss?
As long as you are vigilant about your calorie intake and do not go off the limits, it will help with weight loss. Healthy fats and protein are important when trying to loose weight since they keep us satiated and this is true for peanut butter too.
A handful of peanuts (roughly 25g) or one tablespoon of peanut butter can be used without any danger. You can have even more depending on your calorie expenditure. When you are trying to loose weight, you can use any natural peanut butter from our list. (as they do not contain any extra ingredients)
What are its possible side effects?
Generally, there are no side effects. Having peanut butter is as good as eating peanuts! Only, those who are allergic to peanuts must avoid it. But, as it is the case with most foods; eating this too much might cause some issues.
It is good to stay within the limits and consume 1 to 2 tablespoons of peanut butter in a day. (depending on your activity level) An overdose of peanut butter may lead to weight gain, inflammation and digestive disorders.
Note: Since peanuts are rich in omega 6 fats (just like most vegetable oils) it is advisable to use omega 3 rich foods in diet to strike a healthy balance. Although, both these fats are good for health an imbalance may lead to inflammation in the body. You can sprinkle flaxseeds or chia seeds on your peanut butter rich recipes.
Is it compliant with ketogenic diet?
KETO diet is aimed at making the body dependent on fats for energy instead of carbs and protein. One needs to have very less carbs, high fat and a moderate protein diet. If you’ve read about the nutritional breakdown of peanut butter (mentioned above in this article) you will very well know that it is fit for such a diet.
When looking for a peanut butter for keto diet it is necessary to pick a pure and ‘natural’ peanut butter where nothing other than peanuts has been added.
Can peanut butter be made at home?
Yes… Here you may read the homemade peanut butter recipe in brief :-
Roast the Peanuts:
Roasting peanuts provide them more aroma and they become much easier to process. The nuts must take light brown spots after roasting.
Cool Down then blend:
Add warm peanuts to a food processor or a simple blender. The peanuts are going to go through several phases in texture, before getting creamy and smooth. The very first step is simply to burst the nuts a few times in order to immediately break them up. Then continue this process at a higher speed for one minute, it is going to look like wet sand.
An additional one minute of processing at a higher speed is going to create a nice chunky textured peanut butter. The machine will get hot from processing. If you see the unit disturbed at any moment, allow it to rest and cool off for ten minutes before continuing.
Add Salt and Sweeteners (as per your taste):
This’s the right time to add salt or maybe some other flavouring ingredients as sweeteners maple syrup or honey, cocoa powder for chocolate peanut butter, cinnamon, vegetable oil or maybe coconut oil. When you are adding maple syrup or honey, you have to then add oils to maintain the peanut butter smooth and spreadable; otherwise, it will freeze up and smudge together instantly.
Process for one to two minutes, until a smooth and hot pourable peanut butter, is formed. Once the nut butter cools down, it is going to be spreadable using a blade.
This homemade peanut butter recipe makes approximately one cup of spread. Shift it to an airtight box or maybe a glass jar with a lid and refrigerate.
Although peanut butter can be made at home but handling the recipe like a pro isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. If ‘purity’ is your main concern, the 10 best peanut butter in India that we have listed will meet your expectations. Our research and personal experience says that peanut butters available in the market are also good and safe for consumption.