Let’s help you in your search for “Best whey protein powder in India in 2020“. You might have seen big boxes of ‘whey protein’ kept in stores, or seen an advertise online, or you might have heard someone talk about it. Whatever be the case, this word might have tingled your curiosity. Or, even if the buzz about it has not touched you, you will know today what it actually is and also ends all confusions related to it. Gaining muscle is tough and best whey protein supplement helps in this task. Do not confuse whey protein with mass gainer as both are very different.
By the end of this article, you will at least be able to talk to people about this supplement, provide others with the right kind of knowledge. And if you have been skeptical about its intake, then you must continue reading this article to end all confusions related to it. If you are one of those looking for a quick solution to the cheapest whey protein in India, you can check out this list of 10 whey protein.
EDITOR’S NOTE: It is an uphill task to read the labels of every whey protein powder to make the right choice. We have reviewed ‘10 best whey protein in India‘ to make this task easy for you.
Whey Protein Supplements: Basics Uncovered
What is Whey Protein?
‘It is a good quality protein that is isolated from milk.’
Whey is the by-product of the cheese manufacturing process. When you make paneer (cottage cheese) at home and try to separate the curdled milk (solid portion) the liquid that is left unused is actually ‘whey’. This liquid contains protein, fat, lactose, water, etc in it. You strain it and let it go down the drain.
This liquid is processed (of course it is pasteurised first then micro-filtered) to produce a dry powder which you find packed in the form of a whey protein supplement.
Now when you have identified what ‘whey is. Let us know why is it called a good quality protein?
Protein is made up of smaller units called amino acids. Our body needs 20 amino acids to grow and function well. But the interesting fact is that out of those 20 different amino acids, it is only 9 amino acids that are known as essential amino acids’. Diet from external sources can supplement the need for essential amino acids. The remaining ones are produced within our body so they are non-essential from the perspective of our diet.
So, any protein can be called a good protein, when it contains a good amount and a variety of amino acids, especially the essential amino acids.
What makes Whey Protein qualify for being an effective protein supplement?
Whey protein is one of those sources which supply us with all the 9 essential amino acids and also branched-chain amino acids (like cysteine and leucine which help in muscle development as well as boosts levels of an important antioxidant known as glutathione).
Hence, it qualifies for being called a ‘good quality protein’.
Moreover, science has established evaluation methods to asses protein quality. The most common method applied is the PDCAA score. It has been found that plant proteins are incomplete since they have insufficient amounts of the 9 essential amino acids whereas animal proteins are complete and superior sources of proteins. So, animal proteins have higher PDCAA scores proteins found in whey, egg, casein and beef have the highest score of 1.0.
PDCAA: Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score
Daily Requirement of Protein
The International Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is 0.8g (in males) and 0.75g (in females) per kilogram of body weight, regardless of age. This requirement sets a baseline or is a minimum level that you must intake daily. Any form of physical activity or any other special condition has not been taken into consideration here.
The protein intake is always higher than the above given average values for anyone who is far away from a sedentary lifestyle. Anyone whose job is physically demanding, or is involved in any form of activity like swimming, running, weight training, or even teenagers who engage in sports need much more protein than the ideal minimal value of 0.8g per body weight. Protein intake for all such people should range between 1 to 2.2 g per kilogram of body weight. You should take protein considering the intensity of your physical activity, but you should not go beyond the upper limit to avoid an overdose.
To your surprise, older people who completely neglect their daily intake of protein and never bother to find out how much macronutrients they need, are also amongst those who have a higher protein requirement. Whey protein helps to meet this requirement and help you for muscle gain.
Whey protein benefits
This isn’t just any supplement sitting around the corner that will go down your gut and make no difference! Whey protein has a bundle of benefits to offer :
- It helps for muscle gain in those who undergo physical training of any form.
- Useful in losing weight. A good amount of protein incorporated in your diet will cause you to feel full for longer and will help to cut down your carbohydrate intake.
- It replenishes the level of antioxidant (glutathione) in our body. This helps to neutralise the effect of free radicals and keep the skin healthy and shining, thus minimising the effects of ageing.
- Promotes healthy ageing by helping by restoring muscle loss.
- It lowers the risk of cancer.
- Boosts immunity, since it also contains important immunoglobulins.
- Regulates dopamine levels and hence helps to lift your mood.
Types of whey protein
There are three main types of whey protein:
Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC)
- A perfect ‘all-round’ protein It usually has 70-80% protein content.
- It digests at a fairly fast rate and is very effective and widely used by athletes and weight trainers.
Whey Protein Isolate (WPI)
- It has a high protein percentage (usually 80-90%), which is fast-digesting and is ideal for muscle gaining and boosting nitrogen levels in the bloodstream rapidly.
- Impurities such as fat and lactose have been separated from the powder through the treatment process.
- Isolate helps to overcome the bloating issues faced by some people using concentrate whey. Here, lactose that is the main cause for bloating is almost eliminated while processing.
- It contains a minimal amount of fat.
Whey protein hydrolysate (WPH)
- This protein is fat and lactose-free as well as it is in its pre-digested form. This means that the links between the amino acids have been broken down, increasing the rate of digestion even further.
- It is important to note that the processing causes denaturing of many important vitamins, minerals and immunoglobulins so the added benefits may become less here. But the ease of digestion is at its best.
What to look for while buying Best whey protein in India?
It is important to know the criteria for selecting the best whey protein in India so that you can choose the best one based on your personal needs. So let’s start:
The label tells it all…. Is it true? only partially. You need to read carefully.
Every whey protein brand that you explore before buying has a different serving size, and they print the amount of protein that they will provide per serving. For example, brand A gives you 30 g grams of protein per serving and B gives 25 grams. Overlooking the serving size would make you believe protein A is better. What if we tell you that the serving size of protein A was 45g while that of protein B was 30g.
Now calculate the percentage of protein that both the protein supplements deliver per serving. It is 66.66% for protein A and 83.33% for protein B.
This is the bioavailability of protein in that supplement. For inclusion in list of best whey protein in India, ideally, it should be more than 80%. Do not just decide in a hurry. Take a moment to calculate the percent availability of protein per serving and buy the best one of course!
Quality can be judged from several factors the primary one being the method by which it is produced. The best possible methods by which whey protein is produced are Ultrafiltration or Microfiltration ( at low temperatures).
Low temp is necessary since it keeps the protein in its natural form, undenatured and thus usable by the body. Never buy a protein that had gone through acid treatment or any treatment that involves high temperatures. These processes denature the protein. Apart from this, many brands provide a copy of their lab test report which tells the protein content in their product. This also can help you ascertain the quality of the product.
Customer reviews provide a picture of whether the product stood true to its claims or not. Customers voice is also a measure of the quality of the product. You can very well assess whether or not was it effective.
Too many additives mean that the quality of protein in your supplement has been compromised. Thickeners, fillers, corn syrup, soy, vegetable oils and fats, casein and too much fibre are generally added in the supplement. As a wise consumer you must take into account, what else other than protein (ie amino acids) has been added in the product.
Although almost all whey protein supplements have additives, you need to check that these additions should be in very small or limited amounts and the harmful substances (heavy metals) should not be present at all. Too much of soy protein, or too much fibre or any addition that is high in its glycemic index should be avoided.
You’re taking a supplement only because you value your health and fitness. It is incumbent upon you to keep a check on your macronutrients. A well-balanced whey protein has around 75 to over 80% protein in it, very less fat and fewer carbs. Both fat and carbohydrates should not exceed 2-3 g per serving.
Brand reputation should be an important factor while you make up your mind to pick a particular whey protein supplement. The reputation and credibility that a product picks up, happens over time. If a product isn’t worthy, it might become popular initially but its likeness among consumers will soon fade.
While selecting the best whey protein in India, go in for a supplement that has a good reputation which is built with the trust that consumers have vested in the product.
6.Your personal needs:
Identify the type of whey protein you need. Whey protein concentrate is generally good for anyone. Combining a good exercise regime with it will help you gain lean muscle, maintain your weight and stay fit. If at all you are a person who suffers from bloating issues with whey concentrate, go in for whey isolate. In the case of lactose intolerance go in for whey hydrolysate, where lactose has been almost eliminated. Advanced bodybuilders can usually use hydrolysate form of protein, for fast recovery and maximum content and purity of the protein.
Your personal taste needs are also important. If you cannot tolerate unflavoured raw whey at all, go in for a flavoured one and enjoy the treat. Lots and lots of flavours are available, to choose from. And in any case, you can handle the unflavoured one, you can very well go for it. People with thyroid issues should choose a supplement, that does not use any amount of soy protein in its blend. So, these are little things that you must consider while buying your supplement.
There is a lot of variety with respect to price too. Neither too pricey nor too cheap protein powders are abundant in the market. Some foreign brands, as well as some Indian brands are worth trusting in this respect, which offers a good price without compromising on quality.
Tip: Always buy a 5 lbs tub, that will save you money and last longer.
Go in for whey concentrate with minimal fillers and additives. It will provide good protein content and will also be affordable. Isolate form is expensive, and hydrolysate even more! But, in the quest for saving money, do not fall prey to any non standard, unworthy, product that does not meet the quality standards of a health supplement.
EDITOR’S NOTE: We have followed the same approach as described above, to provide you with the best available options in our list of ‘10 best Whey Protein in India‘. Let’s look forward to those…..
10 Best Whey Protein Powder in India:
1. Optimum Nutrition (ON) Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
OPTIMUM NUTRITION isn’t just another domestic player or a newcomer in the sports nutrition supplement manufacturing industry. It is an internationally acclaimed, trustworthy company operating in this area since 1986. Its production facilities are spread across some states in the USA. They claim to maintain a high quality of their products. Their products are GMP registered and also comply with the rules laid by NSF.
GMP: Good manufacturing practices, NSF: National Science Foundation (USA)
Therefore, our first choice is ‘Optimum Nutrition’. Their whey protein has been used by thousands of customers with no complaints whatsoever (this is an exception for people with allergies/ specific health issues/ or wrong usage of the product). It is passing the test of time and maintaining its position in list of Best whey protein in India.
This one packs 80% protein that is 24 grams of protein in each serving of 30 grams. It won’t be difficult to move it down your throat since it tastes really good! Experts from the industry and thousand of users testify to this fact.
It has 1 gram of sugar per serving. This sugar is calorie-free acesulfame potassium. (a substitute of sugar).
Serving profile ( for every serving of 30 g)
- 24 g protein
- 1g fat
- 3 g carbohydrate
- 50 mg sodium
Protein Metrics: Bioavailability of protein is 80%. The protein content is a mix of whey protein concentrate as well as whey protein isolate thus it will get digested at a fast rate.
- The protein content is composed of essential as well as non essential amino acids.
- Carefully packed with amino acids that help in muscle building ie BCAAs (5.5g). Their role in building muscles has been well established by scientific research. Leucine. Iso leucine and Valine are the main branched chain amino acids for muscle development and they have been added in this supplement.
- Each serving contains glutamine and glutamic acid of about 4g which is necessary for muscle recovery and boosting the immune system.
- Mixes very smoothly
- Tastes good
- The amino acids it contains are viable and in their best state. Since they collect whey protein by a process called ultrafiltration which causes minimal denaturation of the protein.
- Available in many flavours
With the quality, extremely good taste and an impressive 80% protein content, this is a very good choice. The price is fair enough. This supplement has 3g of carbohydrate and 1g fat which won’t be an issue for anyone involved in some physical activity, but if you are very strict with the number of calories you intake and then you can go in for the ‘isolate’ form which we have reviewed below.
2. Optimum Nutrition (ON) Gold Standard 100% Isolate Whey Protein Powder – 3.0 lb, 44 servings (Chocolate Bliss)
This one has ‘whey protein isolate’ as the primary ingredient. It packs 25 grams in each serving of around 31 g which is a decent amount. With respect to taste, this one is also really good because users like its taste.
Serving profile ( serving size of 31 g)
- 24 g protein
- 0.5g fat
- 1 g carbohydrate
- 190 mg sodium
80% Bio availability
- The label on the jar demonstrates the ultrafiltration process by which this protein has been prepared. It is a safe method to remove extra carbs and fats from the product.
- The protein-packed here is a combination of hydrolysed whey protein isolate (47%) and whey protein isolate (46%). They have hydrolysed the protein and it is present into fragments called peptides. These are small chains of amino acids that can be very easily absorbed into your blood since they are in a pre-digested form.
- The protein content is a mix of essential and non essential amino acids. Essential A.A weighs 11.4 g in every serving.
- 5.5 g of Branded Chain amino acids to aid in muscle building.
- 4.3 g of glutamine and glutamic acid that will help to boost immunity and the fast recovery process of muscles.
- It has a zero-calorie artificial sweetener (Sucralose) in it.
- Tastes good.
- Gluten free.
- It will give a speedy post-workout recovery when compared to whey protein concentrate since this one will be absorbed in the body at a faster rate.
- Lactose intolerant people can easily use it, since here the percentage of lactose is minimal. It can also be used by individuals who have bloating issues with whey protein.
- It is available in two flavours: Chocolate bliss and rich vanilla.
It is really good for a speedy post-workout recovery. Although it can be used both as a pre and post workout drink. It is good in quality and taste. Of course a little expensive, but best for those who have any sort of bloating issues or lactose intolerance.
3. Ultimate Nutrition Prostar 100% Whey Protein
Ultimate Nutrition has been there since the 1990s in the U.S.A. It is a renowned name in this sector and has been recognised around the world for its high quality and efficacious products. The company abides by cGMP compliance. You can trust this product and use it to your benefit at an affordable price.
It has an impressive 25 g of protein in every serving of 30 grams, that means around 83% protein per serving. It has very little sugar in it but users find enough taste in it.
Serving Profile: (serving size of 30 g)
- Protein 25g
- Carbohydrate (sugar) 1 g
- Fat 1 g
- Sodium 30 mg
- Cholesterol 20 mg
83% bio availability
- The composition of 25g of protein per serving is a unique combination of a diverse variety of essential as well as non essential proteins.
- To provide you with good muscle-building results they have packed a considerable amount of BCAAs (Branched-chain amino acids) which are over 6 g per serving.
- The protein that you will ingest with ultimate nutrition prostar is a combination of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate and peptides too.
- This supplement can be taken as a pre-workout as well as a post workout supplement since it will fuel your body with needed energy in a short while and also keep you full for some time. This is because whey protein concentrate takes a little time to digest while isolate and peptides are in a readily usable form.
- Sucralose and acesulfame potassium are the two sweeteners that have been added. Both of them qualify for being a zero calorie sweetener.
- There are a variety of flavours to choose from. However, if you like chocolates, the chocolate creme flavour would be best for you. Most of the users like it.
- A very budget-friendly option.
- Low in carbs and fat content.
- No issues with the miscibility of this product.
- It also contains some amount of Vitamin A, C, calcium and iron.
It is a good muscle building supplement, with an intermediate price. Users have positive feedback about this product since it is actually effective. The only part where this product lacks is that the glutamine and glutamic acid concentration in other whey proteins (like ON protein) are far better than this one. You can still go for it if you are searching for a budget friendly option with credibility in terms of high protein content.
**Glutamine and glutamic acid make your immune system stronger and help in pacing up the recovery process of muscles!
4. Ultimate Nutrition ISO sensation 93
This is a high quality ‘whey isolate’ produced by the same reputed company; Ultimate Nutrition. The name itself reveals that this supplement isn’t just another supplement in the market. It has an exceptionally high bioavailability of protein and that is 93%. It is best whey protein isolate in India and very useful for building lean muscle.
Not only does it have a high percentage of protein, but it does have some more added benefits that make it just one of its kinds! It is the best option if you’re looking for a good ‘whey isolate’.
Serving Profile: (serving size 33g)
- 30 g protein
- 0.46 g fat
- 1 g carbohydrate
- Sugar <1g
- Cholesterol 2 mg
- 130 calories per serving
93% bio availability.
- This supplement comes with a diverse amount of amino acids; essential as well as non essential ones that blend together to give you the much-needed protein for muscle growth and recovery.
- It is important to note that the company claims the protein they provide is in an undenatured state. This means that your body actually receives an active form of protein. This is maintained by processing the protein in a very low-temperature environment and then it is micro filtered to provide a very clean and effective protein supplement.
- Not only does it contain whey protein, but it also contains ‘Colostrum’ too. Recent researches have established its exceptional property of boosting the performance of athletes and also those who undergo HIIT. Colostrum primarily boosts the immune system. It is nutritious for the body since it contains macronutrients, vitamins as well as minerals. (HIIT: High-Intensity Interval Training)
- BCAAs have not been separately mentioned. But when we examine the amino acid profile, we find that they have provided enough amount of Leucine. Leucine, isoleucine and valine which aid in muscle growth, are present in their standard ratio.
- It contains Glutamine complex. Glutamine is needed to stop muscle breakdown, in fact, start the recovery process. This complex has glutamine in its most stable yet readily absorbable form for faster recovery.
- SI complex is a mix of compounds that help to increase insulin sensitivity and efficiency in the body.
- Proper insulin metabolism promotes sugar uptake by muscles that lead to glycogen (a stored form of glucose) and hence muscle growth.
- Along with all the compounds that this supplement carries with it. It has D complex, which is a blend of digestive enzymes that are most needed for fast digestion and absorption of this supplement.
- The ‘whey isolate’ you get in this supplement retains its nutrient value. It is in a readily absorbable form.
- Not one, but a blend of digestive enzymes are provided, make this supplement easy and light for your digestive system.
- Very less cholesterol and almost fat-free.
- Combines muscle growth, recovery, strength gains, slowed ageing and immunity-boosting benefits.
- Mixes very easily and tastes good.
Whey isolate is always expensive when compared to blended or concentrate form of proteins but this one a real value for money option. The product is backed with a decent amount of research. You can be sure of its purity and effectiveness. It will stand true to its claims.
5. ASITIS Nutrition Whey Protein Concentrate 80%
Asitis whey protein stands out in the category of an ‘original and additives free’ supplement. It is from an Indian brand but the whey protein used by them is imported from the U.S.A. You can trust them for using a good quality whey protein. Asitis whey protein has created a unique selling space for itself, owing to it being unflavoured, with no fillers and elimination of any traces of heavy metals such that it will prove to be a boon for your good health! Asitis whey protein price and quality makes it one of the cheapest and best whey protein in India.
The reasons that it is number five in our list of Best whey protein in India are:
Serving profile ( serving size of 30 g)
- 24 g protein
- 1.5 g fat
- 2.5 g carbohydrate
- No sugar
- 5.4g BCAAs
- 119 calories per serving
Protein Metrics: 80% bioavailability
- Each serving of 30 grams contains 24 g of protein which makes its bioavailability reach 80%. This is a clear indicator of it being a good protein supplement.
- The protein profile is diverse, containing essential as well as non essential amino acids.
- The BCAAs which are required for muscle growth are present in a good amount. (5.4g per serving)
- Among BCAAs Leucine has a share of 2.6g per serving which is good enough while Isoleucine and Valine are more than a gram. This is an ideal ratio of BCAAs.
- The protein in Asitis whey protein isn’t denatured. It is in its raw form. It is not processed too much so it retains its originality hence loss of minerals and vitamins is minimised in this product.
- No flavour or sweetener has been added so you can be sure that what you are ingesting does not have any harmful or artificial additive in it.
- The mixability of the product is good. Asitis whey protein easily blends in water, milk or fruit juice.
- An important thing to note here is that this supplement is in its raw form (concentrate form of whey protein). They have not added anything extra here, not even any digestive enzymes so it might be a trouble for those who have a weak digestive system or are lactose intolerant.
- Being completely unflavoured, you will need to adjust yourself with the taste of Asitis whey protein. If you cannot sacrifice taste, this might not be for you. Of course, many people find it to be unpalatable.
- Asitis whey protein can be used in your smoothies, or for high protein meals like homemade protein bars, pancakes, etc since it is itself unflavoured and unsweetened.
- It comes in a pouch that is made of food-grade material and has a good seal. You can easily carry it along if you are travelling.
- Best suited for those who want to use a zero sugar supplement and also for those who are strict at watching out their macros.
Asitis whey protein concentrate is a good quality protein supplement and one of the best Indian whey protein brand. The price of the product beats all others in this category. Asitis whey protein price is very fair and at par with what they deliver to their customers, it is the best economical whey protein. If you can adjust with a non-flavoured and neutral taste, this is a very good choice!
To minimise bloating issues, you can use it with water instead of using it with milk in the first place.
6. Muscle Blaze Whey Gold (100% whey protein Isolate)
‘Muscle Blaze whey gold’ has good quality protein content that it offers to its customers. Thus, it is among the well-appraised best whey proteins in India. We will review it thoroughly so that you can make a wise choice that suits your personal needs.
First of all, we should know that this is an ‘isolate’ form of whey protein. Muscleblaze whey gold isolate contains over 80% of the protein content in each serving. This product is from an Indian company but the raw material that ‘whey’ is imported from the U.S.A and is processed in India. You can trust the quality of the protein. They also attach a lab report with their product that further affirms the quantity of protein in its total composition.
Serving Profile (serving size of 30g)
- 25 g protein
- 0.46 g fat
- 1.65 g carbohydrate
- No sugar
- 109 calories per serving
- Each serving of Muscle Blaze whey gold isolate has 25 g of protein which incorporates essential as well as non essential amino acids in a manner that will aid in muscle recovery and synthesis.
- The amount of BCAAs added is appropriate. It contains 5.5g of BCAAs per serving. Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine are in the standard ratio 2:1:1 which is ideal for gaining lean muscle.
- 4.38g of Glutamic acid is present in each serving. It will help in speedy muscle recovery.
- Since Muscleblaze whey gold is an isolate form of whey protein, it will digest and get absorbed in your system rapidly. This will cause minimal bloating issues as it won’t contain much lactose in it.
- Muscleblaze whey gold supplement mixes well in water or milk.
- Tastes good.
- Muscleblaze whey gold can be used by those who want a fast-digesting protein, as a pre or post workout supplement.
- Minimal bloating issues.
- It contains digestive enzymes to aid in its digestion and absorption.
The quality of the Muscleblaze whey gold isolate is good. You can trust it for your health. It is liked by many who have been using it.
The major concern is that its packaging is in a 2 kg tub which is equivalent to 4.4 lbs. For the same price or even lesser many good quality whey proteins are available. SO, this is expensive when compared to others. But keep in mind that buying this one will assure you of its quality. It is one of the best Indian whey protein brand.
7. Dymatize Nutrition Elite 100% Whey protein
This is yet another trustworthy whey protein that you can bank on, for a sports supplement. It is from a company that markets its products worldwide and with success so far. The product is GMP compliant. The protein provided is pure and in its best usable from. It has been acclaimed by most of its users.
Serving Profile: ( serving size of 36g )
- Protein 25g
- Carbohydrate 3 g
- Fat 3 g
- Sodium 30 mg
- Cholesterol 75 mg
Protein Metrics: 69.44%
- Each serving of 36 grams contains 25 grams of protein, which is a blend of whey concentrate, isolate and hydrolysed whey protein.
- As the manufacturers claim, it is a fast digesting protein. Since they use hydrolysed and isolate form of whey, it can be easily digested and absorbed in your gut. The concentrate portion of the blend will provide lasting energy.
- The amount of BCAAs (5.5g per serving) added in the whey protein complex is an important factor, for muscle growth. Here, they have added it in the optimum amount. Among BCAAs ‘leucine’ holds key importance for muscle growth. 2.7 grams of leucine in each packing of 5.5 g of serving of BCAAs.
- A good amount of glutamine is present, about 4.4 g. This is important for muscle recovery.
- The mix-ability of any protein powder is important. This one really mixes well, just as good as the ones mentioned above.
- It is palatable. The taste is not only good but very satisfying.
- Calcium and iron are also provided in each serving.
Dymatize elite will undoubtedly help in your strength and muscle building endeavours. Good opinion of users also support it.
Those who have a strict diet schedule and keep a watch on their calories, macros, etc should think before buying it since it contains 3g of carbohydrate and 3g of fat per serving. The bioavailability of protein is less in comparison to other supplements we have so far listed. It comes down to approximately 70% which isn’t bad but of course, but lesser than others in the market.
Overall, it is a good supplement, adequately priced, and good with respect to its quality. If you don’t watch out very strictly for your calorie intake, you can go in for this one.
8. MyFitFuel MFF Whey Protein 80 (Unflavoured)
It is trustworthy and hence popular among customers. This is another whey protein produced in India. It was initially launched in 2013, so we see that it has been around for a while. Being budget friendly and a quality product, this has been embraced by many.
The company provides transparency regarding the ingredients and also provides a variety to choose from. They have manufactured supplements with a variety of flavours like rich chocolate delight, coffee caramel, swiss vanilla, etc. Their range includes:
(i) MFF Whey protein 80 concentrate
(ii) MFF Whey Protein 90 isolate
(iii) MFF Essential Recovery Protein
(iv) MFF Advance 100% Whey protein with digestive enzymes
Serving profile: (serving size 32.8g)
- 26.4 g protein (dry basis)
- 24.3 g protein (actual basis)
- 2.6 g fat
- 1.7 g carbohydrate
- 0 g sugar
- 150 mg sodium
- 133 calories per serving
The number ’80’ in the name, stands for 80% bioavailability of protein in the supplement as calculated on a dry basis. This supplement also provides information regarding the availability of protein in your body, which will be around 74%.
*** It is nothing new, the actual availability of protein in your body is always around 5% lesser than what is printed on the label. The protein percentage in the product is measured in the dry form, and this happens for some standard protein supplements. Since proteins are not dry in their natural form, they always contain moisture which causes the true protein availability to be reduced. It is kind of this company to mention it.
- Crude whey protein concentrate with no additives. The protein profile is diverse, having optimum amounts of essential as well as non essential amino acids. 11.8 g essential amino acids.
- Maintains a standard ratio of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine. The total amount of BCAAs per serving is 5.4g.
- 4g glutamine which is also satisfactory.
- This supplement is unflavoured and unsweetened. It has no fillers or additions of substances that may harm you.
- No digestive enzymes.
- 0 artificial sugar.
- You can add this in your meals (smoothies, cakes, pancakes) since it is unflavoured.
- It has no sugar and no soy, no artificial sweeteners. Since, it does not contain soy it is safe for people who have thyroid issues, and for diabetics too. A wide range of people can use it. Pure vegans, thyroid patients, diabetics, etc can use it freely
- They claim transparency in providing you authentic nutritional information and provide a copy of their lab report.
Budget-friendly. Good option if you’re looking for an indigenous brand.
This unflavoured, crude whey protein might cause bloating or digest slowly in some people, since it has no added enzymes. You can go in for other versions from MFF which have added enzymes. It is easy for you to find a customised product for yourself, from their range of Whey protein supplements. My fit fuel is also one of the best whey protein in India.
9. Muscle tech nitro tech
Nitro Tech from ‘Muscle Tech’ is another popular and effective protein supplement. It isn’t a pure whey protein supplement since it has added portions of creatine in it. It also has glutamine and precursors well as BCAAs. This protein blend helps to gain muscle size and strength. Ideally for athletes and those who undergo intense workouts.
Serving profile ( for every serving of 46 g)
- 30 g protein
- 2.5 g fat
- 4 g carbohydrate
- 2 g sugar
- 1 g (approx.) dietary fibre
- 80 mg of cholesterol
- 150 mg sodium
- 160 calories per serving
When we calculate the bioavailability of this protein, it comes down to around 65%. This is quite less when there are whey proteins available which provide up to 80% of protein with every serving.
- Muscletech nitrotech supplement is undoubtedly a good protein supplement, but not a pure whey protein since it has certain additions that other whey proteins do not contain.
- The protein component in muscletech nitrotech here is a blend of whey concentrate, whey isolate and whey peptides. The form of protein that they have used is in a fast digesting form. Whey isolate and peptides get absorbed in the system very rapidly.
- It is important to note that the serving size of this product is quite high (in comparison to other supplements) about 46g. Thus according to the serving size, they have added other essentials for muscle growth.
- Muscletech nitrotech contains 6.8g of BCAAs per serving, where leucine has a share of 3.3g. BCAAs are important for muscle building.
- Glutamic acid (needed for post-workout recovery) and its precursor have a share of 5g per serving. t
- Every serving has 3g of added creatine. This helps in increasing muscle mass and strength. Both these properties of creatine have been well established through research.
- Muscletech nitrotech contains sucralose as well as acesulfame potassium as sweeteners. Both are zero calorie sweeteners.
- It does contain cholesterol, way more than other supplements available in the market.
- Good tasting supplement and it will boost performance too.
- It will help with gains in the lean muscle.
- Muscle tech Nitrotech also has added digestive enzymes.
Overall it is a good supplement that will lead to muscle gain and also improve your strength levels. It has added sugar, flavours and some amount of fat too. Ideally, it is a supplement for athletes and those who indulge in intense weight training and are looking for muscle gain.
Anyone who is not very active or needs to lose weight should consider the amount of fat, sugar and cholesterol that this supplement contains. It is expensive when compared to other whey protein supplements since they charge almost the same amount for a 4 lbs tub in which can buy you 5 lbs of a standard whey protein.
It is for those, who need some more benefits apart from just protein supplementation. Those who are looking for a clean and pure protein supplement with no add ons, this isn’t for them.
10. BSN syntha 6 Protein Matrix
BSN or Bio-Engineered Supplements is a very renowned sports supplement brand in the U.S.A. The company was established in the year 2001. Since then, it has been known to provide its customers with high-quality supplements that helped produce desired results. Its product’s quality is undoubtedly, very good. BSN Syntha 6 is one of the best whey protein in India for weight gain as well.
The BSN Syntha 6 Protein Matrix brings to its users a blend of 6 different and good quality proteins.
Serving Profile (Serving size: 47 g)
- Calories 200 g
- Fat 6 g
- Carbohydrate 15 g
- Cholesterol 70 mg
- Sugar 2 g
In every serving of 47g, 22g of protein is available. The bioavailability of protein is hence, less than 50%.
- The protein found in this supplement is a blend of whey concentrate, whey isolate, casein, egg protein and soy. Whey concentrate is highest (w.r.t quantity) in the blend.
- Casein and egg protein are very good quality proteins. But the drawback with both is that casein is a slow-digesting protein and egg protein digests even slower than casein.
- It also contains glutamine peptides that aid in muscle recovery.
- Healthy fats (MCTS: Medium Chain triglycerides) have been added to it, which are good for cardiac health. Apart from this it also contains fat from sunflower oil.
- In each serving of 47g, you get about 10 g of essential amino acids.
- Digestion will take some time. So, if used post workout you should not expect a speedy recovery of muscles as well as energy.
- It not only contains whey but other high-quality proteins like casein, egg protein and soy. All of them have a high biological value.
- It mixes well with water or milk to give you a great tasting shake.
- 5g of fibre per serving will maintain your gut’s health and also keep you full for quite some time.
It can be a great addition to your diet. This supplement provides protein from a variety of sources so it is not a pure whey protein. Since it has added fibre and some slow digesting proteins in it, the absorption rate might not be as fast as other pure whey proteins.
Moreover, the content of fat and carbohydrates is high. You can very well use this if you want to supplement your diet with protein and want to gain or maintain weight. If at all you want to lose fat, or are under a strict diet schedule where you don’t compromise with your macronutrients, this one isn’t for you. For a lower fat and carbohydrate content go in for the ‘isolate’ from BSN.
As the name suggests it is a ‘Protein Matrix’ and from that point of view, it is a good supplement.
Can I use Whey protein for weight loss?
In general, for weight management reducing the carbohydrate intake and increasing protein intake leads to fat loss and lean muscle remains preserved during dieting. This fact is backed by scientific research.
Since whey protein delivers way more protein in just one serving than other alternates that we usually eat, it can be used to aid in weight loss. This happens because the satiety level achieved by ingesting protein is way more than eating equal amounts of carbohydrate or healthy fats.
Who can use Whey protein?
It isn’t a hype that it is a legitimate good protein, worthy of your attention and intake. Whey protein also helps to build strong muscles in anyone, who is exercising in any form, be it aerobics, running or weight training. Young and old can use it alike. Also, it is important for those who want to lose weight and restrict carbohydrate intake.
Those who have lactose intolerance should take caution while using it. Processed (hydrolysed) whey protein can be their friend, in case of easing the digestion process. Moreover, people who have gout; a condition where uric acid levels increase in blood should stay away from any sort of protein supplement.
Can I take Whey protein powder if I have diabetes?
Yes. Whey protein has been found to be useful in lowering blood glucose levels. As explained earlier also, whey protein helps promote satiety for long and hence the patient can keep his/her glucose levels in control.
Can I take Whey protein if I have high blood pressure?
It is safe to take whey protein for those who suffer from high blood pressure. In fact, some recent researches suggest that it may help in lowering blood pressure.
NOTE: It is neither a remedy for diabetes nor for high blood pressure meaning that it won’t necessarily cure any of the two. However, in some cases, consumption of whey protein has been beneficial in both the conditions. An important takeaway is that it isn’t dangerous or risky to use it in both these health conditions.
Is whey protein good for children?
It isn’t bad for children or teens but their daily requirement of protein is much lower than that of adults which can be completed using natural sources of protein. It isn’t wise to allow children (ideally more than 10 years of age) to depend on these supplements since it may result in overdosage of protein.
Are there any side effects of whey protein powder?
There aren’t potent dangers or side effects related to taking a whey protein supplement. Its benefits are of course many. Mostly, there are mild side effects that are usually related to flatulence, indigestion or nausea in some people. Those who have lactose intolerance should use hydrolysed whey. Others who are allergic to certain additives used (like, soy, corn syrup, egg, etc) should read the label carefully before buying one. Those with thyroid issues should avoid any whey protein powder that has any amount of soy protein in its blend. Using an unflavoured whey protein with no additives can be a solution for many.
Any precautions to be taken while using a whey protein supplement?
It is important to drink lots of water while you take these supplements or an even if you are on a high protein diet. Proteins are made up of amino acids that have a nitrogen atom in it. In order to metabolise and flush out nitrogen from your body, it is important to drink plenty of water. Any harm that may result with long term use of a high protein diet or protein supplements can be easily avoided by drinking water!
As you can see, there are various parameters on which you can decide which whey protein will suit you the most. All the above brands are good and have their own specialties. Please share this article with your friends and family and help them choose the best whey protein powder in India.